Thursday, November 20, 2008

Supporting the Curriculum ELA -Research and Expository Unit Options

After our last Teacher Librarian Proffessional Development, I tried to think of more ways to support Teachers, State Standards and the Curriculum Guide Lessons. So, last Tuesday I hosted a Gallery Walk in the Library. I asked teachers to give students a mini lesson about Primary and Secondary Resources prior to their visit. On each table I displayed various sources, labeling them with a general description such as "Biography", "Photograph" or "Newspaper" and a corresponding number. As students (classes) walked in I handed them a "cheat sheet" with the definitions of both Primary and Secondary Sources and an assignment. As they walked about the library they were asked to write down whether the source was a primary or secondary. For the first time (at Markham), I heard kids debating with one another...Accountable Talk. They were into this lesson. I believe this Gallery Walk was successful because students had the liberty to walk around the library, discuss their answers with each other, and converse with others as they proceeded to each table. They were independent learners during this task. Our teachers here at Markham were appreciative and so was I. Here is a website I found useful: http://www.primarysourcelearning.org/
My Lessons Learned: -Make sure teachers who have signed up know that a Sub should not bring in their classes. -Make sure teachers know the definitions of Primary and Secondary Sources before they give the lesson. A handout or brief info will do. -Schedule no more than 2 classes per period -Meet and greet each class at the door and convey expectation and review library rules

No comments: