Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pass the 40

I can remember the characters Lesha and Chicago sharing a 40 oz. in the movie Poetic Justice (1993). I also remember seeing "The 40" (Old English Malt Liquor) stapled on billboards and bus benches throughout South Central LA. It was the popular alcoholic drink for that time period. It wasn't uncommon for me to see it in someones hand while playing outside or while on my way to the store. The effects of this drink (because whomever drank it, always drank all 40 ounces) weren't positive.
So while doing some research, I ran across this site http://www.search-institute.org/assets/ .
It discusses the 40 Developmental Assets every adolescent ages 12-18 need for a productive life. I thought to myself...what if these 40 assets were promoted and stapled on billboards and bus benches throughout our communities? What effects would it have on our communities? Would it become popular? Would everyone latch onto at least 2 assets? Hmmmmm...

2 comments:

librarymum said...

Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0. Your blog looks great and I'm going to enjoy reading your posts as I cheer you on the SLL2.0 path.

I thought I would make one suggestion for your posts. You might want to start adding tags to your posts as it will help you find particular subjects in the future. If you didn't see it before, on the screen where you create a post, at the bottom edge there is a space where you can fill in as many tags as you would like to use. They are like the ones you use for del.icio.us. Since you are recording your school visits on the blog, it might be interesting to include the name of the school as a tag, so you can go back and pick them out as the blog grows. Just a thought!

Read you here soon!
Librarymum of PageSpace

librarymum said...

One more comment...

Thanks for sharing the link to the 40 assets. It's great and I'm going to share it at my school.