Friday, April 18, 2008

Is reading on a ‘death spiral’? « Recorded Books weblog

Here is a Comment on this article.... Is reading on a ‘death spiral’? « Recorded Books weblog

Great Blog! http://recordedbooks.wordpress.com/
I have 2 comments..First, I like the idea Scieszka has created with GuysRead. I have included a link on my blog and hope to use this as a PR tool at my school site. Often times boys are the hardest to reach and this tool could be something that increases circulation and motivates students across grade levels.Secondly, I like the idea that students should read what they like. It is difficult to say no to students when they come into the library, especially when the school has implemented programs such as AR or RC (Accelerated Reader and Reading Counts). Students should be advised to balance their selections. Students should be told, “Yes, you should read what you like and yes, you should read what your teacher recommends as well”. I believe speaking to students about book selection will make the “death spiral” non-existent.

No comments: